Vitamin D Toxicity in Dogs
Vitamin D is an fat-soluble vitamin (i.e. it is stored in the fat tissues in the human body as well as in the liver) which is crucial in controlling the balance of phosphorous and calcium in the dog’s body. It also helps in storage of calcium which aids in bone formation as well as control of muscle and nerves. If consumed in high amounts vitamin D may cause serious health problems. Crested Birds
Chemicals that destroy rodents constitute the primary cause to the poisoning of the vitamin D in pets. However, the use of excessive amounts for vitamin D within diets or in drugs that contain significant levels of vitamin D could cause poisoning. All dogs are vulnerable, however, puppies and dogs in their early years are more susceptible.
Symptoms and Types
The symptoms usually manifest within 12 to 36 hours after the consumption of rodent-killing agents. The time at the time that symptoms become apparent may differ based on the cause of the vitamin D toxicity. These symptoms could include:
Your vet will conduct a thorough details of your dog’s diet as well as any supplements it may be taking. They will determine if your dog is having access to rodent-killing chemical at the house or in the backyard. A complete physical exam will be performed which includes routine lab tests like a complete analysis of the blood, biochemistry electrolytes and the urinalysis.
If your dog suffers with vitamin D toxicity The biochemistry profile may show abnormally high levels calcium and phosphorous in blood. It could also show unusually low levels of potassium in blood, as well as an increase in nitrogenous wastes. In certain dogs the biochemistry profile could also indicate an unusually high amount of liver enzymes, as well as lower levels of proteins (called albumin) in blood. Urinalysis will reveal unusually high levels of protein and glucose in urine.
Vitamin D toxicity is an issue that requires prompt medical attention and hospitalization. In reality, the first 72 hours are vital to protecting your dog’s life. If the chemical that is toxic to dogs amounts of vitamin D were taken in recent times, your vet may cause vomiting. There are other medications that bind toxic substances and stop the absorption of more vitamin D. How Long Do Birds Live
In order to maintain hydration levels and to correct electrolyte imbalances intravenous fluid therapy can be used. In addition, intravenous fluids are crucial in helping to promote the elimination of calcium in urine.